In Emma Issac’s book, “Winging It. Why Action Beats Planning Every Time”, she says that everyone is just winging it. That no one really knows what they are doing.
As someone who thinks that plans are important the thought that people are just Winging It” is hard to believe. Growing up, my parents would tell me the importance of planning and being prepared.
I do agree with her that is important to know what you want, but don’t be so rigid that you don’t give yourself the grace and the flexibility to pivot and make changes.
As I think back, she is RIGHT. This is how I:
- Started my journey of a 20-year corporate career in Oil & Gas. I didn’t know anything about the industry but I learned quickly and found mentors along the way
- Moved to Houston. I got on a plane with only 2 bags, no job, no car, and only knowing 1 person
- Created a dance company, The Ground Level, which helped bring artists to local dance studios
- Began a new career as a Business & Success Coach helping creative entrepreneurs take action toward their dreams
How many times have you said “No” to a new job opportunity, moving to a new state or city, or trying something you have always wanted to do because you:
- Had to know every scenario of why it may not work (or why it may work)
- Felt that you were not qualified or needed more education
- Required a detailed plan for your future to say Yes.
- Were scared (we all have fears of the unknown).
I know that saying “Yes” to something that you may not know everything about is scary or can make you a bit nervous, but I do know that for me that when I did say Yes, these were the best decisions that made a big impact on my life.
3 Ways to Start “Just Winging It”
1. Say Yes and Figure It Out Later
We can’t have 100% of everything figured out before we make decisions. Sometimes we have to make decisions based on our gut, how we feel, and the information that we have. We can lose out on great opportunities if we are trying to plan out and overthink every scenario.
2. Going With The Flow
Be flexible with the outcome. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there and take a leap of faith. You never know where the journey will take you.
3. Believe In Yourself
This is a big one! We are capable of anything. We can learn anything. We have the ability to accomplish anything that we set our minds to. We just have to allow ourselves to dream big and go after them.
The one thing that I know is that you are in control of your life and you have the ability to do anything that you want. No one can stop you. It will take one thing – Action!